Hey Guest, Welcome to Backlinksforum - Archive!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • Important

This is the (read only) Archive of Backlinksforum.com up to December 3 2011
    If you want to start a new topic, then you need to go to: www.trafficplanet.com

- - - - -

Did you know you're paying $215 to have your articles written in the Philippenes?

• Please log in to reply
    29 replies to this topic

#1 ctclocal

ctclocal

• Members
    • PipPip
    • posts 22

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

I've been looking at outsourcing articles to the Philippenes. Doing some research I've found people are willing to pay $5 per article. At first I thought that was quite reasonable. But then I wondered what $5 means to someone living in the Philippenes. In other words, what is the exchange rate. So... I looked it up.

Did you know as of Friday, 16 September 2011 $1 USD = $43 Philippean Pesos? That means a $5 article is the equivalent to getting paid $215.

Did you also know that as of 2010 the inflation rate is near a 30 year low? That means that the purchasing power of their own currency is at a 30 year high.

Knowing this should we be expected to pay up to $215 per article?

Just a thought.
    CTClocal
    The Best Charlotte SEO Company Specializing in Local SEO & SEM.

#2 jaxstar

jaxstar

• Members
    • posts 811

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

I'm not sure if I should feel bad for you or make fun of you for making a statement like that. Its obvious you've never left your village where you live and have exchanged any type of foreign currency. By your theory, I guess its even worse if you hire a Japanese worker as 1 USD = 76 JPY. Damn. They are making over 380 JPY for a measly article!

In short, yes, the Philippines has a much lower cost of living vs the US. But, 1 PHP does not have the same buying power of 1 USD, even for local items.

Good luck when you travel abroad.

#3 Jimbo1980

Jimbo1980

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 89

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Ask not how much they make.
    Ask how much are you willing to pay.

#4 dmadnani

dmadnani

• Members
    • posts 216

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

I'm not sure if I should feel bad for you or make fun of you for making a statement like that. Its obvious you've never left your village where you live and have exchanged any type of foreign currency. By your theory, I guess its even worse if you hire a Japanese worker as 1 USD = 76 JPY. Damn. They are making over 380 JPY for a measly article!

In short, yes, the Philippines has a much lower cost of living vs the US. But, 1 PHP does not have the same buying power of 1 USD, even for local items.

I don't think he's going anywhere, anytime soon.

#5 ctclocal

ctclocal

• Members
    • PipPip
    • posts 22

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

jaxstar I respect your Senior Member status here but a piece of advice, never assume. Also your 1 to 1 matching with the Yen is not the same.

1 Peso may not have the exact same buying power, but your mixing apples and oranges. Doing rough macro-economic math, a $5 Article in the Philippines is closer to the equivalent of paying an American $50 - $100...and I wouldn't pay that in the US either. I don't know an Internet marketer who would.

All that being said, I love the free market. I don't fault them for charging what they do, the mega Progressive lefty liberal in me is happy they have wealthy countries to tap into. However being a capitalist, it's smart to know information like this to help in negotiations.

Best to you,

Brian
    CTClocal

#6 ctclocal

ctclocal

• Members
    • PipPip
    • posts 22

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

I don't think he's going anywhere, anytime soon.

Thanks for the pile on and poor assumption.
    CTClocal

#7 jaxstar

jaxstar

• Members
    • posts 811

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

jaxstar I respect your Senior Member status here

Thank you for that. But you should respect me since, while not an expert on international monetary policy, its clear I am the expert between us on this subject.

but a piece of advice, never assume.

Sorry, my assumptions were based on your obviously wrong opinions / observations.

Also your 1 to 1 matching with the Yen is not the same.

1 Peso may not have the exact same buying power, but your mixing apples and oranges.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I made the same analogy that you did.

a $5 Article in the Philippines is closer to the equivalent of paying an American $50 - $100...and I wouldn't pay that in the US either. I don't know an Internet marketer who would.

So how its only $50-$100? What happened to the $215 figure?

----

I try not to comment on these types of posts, but your post was so off basis that I had to comment. My experience comes from 1. Just knowing how local currencies work and 2. having lived in the US and travel to numerous countries and continents, including the Philipinnes. Plus, I have family on my wife's side who still live in the Philipinnes and have a few full time workers based in the Philipinnes.

So, from my experience, I can tell you that 1 USD does not equal 1 PHP. If that were true, a $1 pack of gum would cost 1 PHP. Like I said, some local things are much cheaper. For example, a beer at a bar might cost 40 PHP, which is $1. That same beer in the US might cost $4. So yes, its 25% of the cost. But, an airline ticket from the Phillippines to the US might cost $1,000 USD. Unfortunately, it doesnt' cost 1,000 PHP. Rather, it would cost 43,000 PHP. Get the difference?

Perhaps before you start another post like this you do a little research so you don't look so stupid.

#8 tumpo

tumpo

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 50

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

I have to agree with the second poster, you kinda sound like a noob with this aproximation, that we pay 215$. But what you said is some food for thought, though, i have to agree with that.

#9 WillJR

WillJR

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 42

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:44 PM

I am with jaxstar on this one.

I donno what your point of this post is. If you feel ripped off paying 215 pesos ($5 usd) then don't do it.

#10 spaxton1

spaxton1

• Members
    • posts 593

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:35 AM

Hmmm...

Sorry, but that's not how exchange rates work.
    Shhh... Homepage Backlink Co-op RELOADED!
    (Reworked, Redesigned, RELOADED!) 20+ New Blogs Monthly, Relevant Content, < 30 OBL

LAUNCHING 12/01/2011
    Original Networks (Launched over 1 year ago) Remain SOLD-OUT!!

Join our waiting list:http://backlinksforu...link-co-op.html

#11 Steve41

Steve41

• Members
    • posts 187

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:49 AM

Cost of Living Comparision

Edited by Steve41, 18 September 2011 - 11:38 PM.

#12 Bill_Z

Bill_Z

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 63

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:26 PM

OP how old are you? I hope 12.

#13 ctclocal

ctclocal

• Members
    • PipPip
    • posts 22

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:23 AM

Cost of Living Comparision

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Although, I have people there right now paying a fraction of what that site shows for rent and other items...even labor like house keepers, contractors and personal assistants. I have been all over, from my experience someone from the "west" will pay more for the same than by those from that country. It's a different scaling of the economy that isn't present in other countries like Japan.

Glad to see the usual forum personalities come out for this thread.
    CTClocal

#14 ctclocal

ctclocal

• Members
    • PipPip
    • posts 22

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:25 AM

OP how old are you? I hope 12.

Bill, would OP be internet speak for Oh Please?
    CTClocal

#15 jaxstar

jaxstar

• Members
    • posts 811

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

I have people there right now paying a fraction of what that site shows for rent and other items...even labor like house keepers, contractors and personal assistants.

The Philippines is just like another other country. Just like the cost of living in NYC is much higher than the cost of living in west Texas, the Philippines is no different. The cost of living in Manila is much more than in the provincial areas. So depending on where your 'people' are, costs will vary greatly. I prefer to hire people outside of Manila as they won't need as high of a salary.

Edited by jaxstar, 19 September 2011 - 12:36 AM.

#16 ctclocal

ctclocal

• Members
    • PipPip
    • posts 22

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:01 AM

The Philippines is just like another other country. Just like the cost of living in NYC is much higher than the cost of living in west Texas, the Philippines is no different. The cost of living in Manila is much more than in the provincial areas. So depending on where your 'people' are, costs will vary greatly. I prefer to hire people outside of Manila as they won't need as high of a salary.

Point well taken...and thanks for the geo advice. That's good to know.
    CTClocal

#17 raven

raven

• Members
    • posts 108

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:26 AM

as far as im concerned if the article is good and readable $5 is more then good to pay whether or not it can buy them an a bus ride into town or half their rent for the month. if both parties get something beneficial in return its all gravy.
    WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!

#18 scutter

scutter

• Members
    • posts 158

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:18 AM

There are a number of flaws in the reasoning of the OP, but in the end it comes down to one simple thing: you're not paying "more" than $5 USD for the article no matter how much the $5 is worth in another country. You're paying $5.

Even if my $5 was worth $1 million in equivalent value somewhere else, I'd still be willing to pay $5 to get a quality article because it would cost less than the value of my own time to produce it and less than I would have to pay for a U.S. based writer. That being said, in this scenario, I'd also move to that somewhere else and retire rich and happy. :)

#19 Jun

Jun

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 69

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

Did you know as of Friday, 16 September 2011 $1 USD = $43 Philippean Pesos? That means a $5 article is the equivalent to getting paid $215.

$1 USD = Php43 Philippine Peso not $43 OMG.
    $5 USD = Php 215.00

#20 COBSolutions

COBSolutions

• Members
    • PipPip
    • posts 25

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

jaxstar I respect your Senior Member status here but a piece of advice, never assume. Also your 1 to 1 matching with the Yen is not the same.

1 Peso may not have the exact same buying power, but your mixing apples and oranges. Doing rough macro-economic math, a $5 Article in the Philippines is closer to the equivalent of paying an American $50 - $100...and I wouldn't pay that in the US either. I don't know an Internet marketer who would.

All that being said, I love the free market. I don't fault them for charging what they do, the mega Progressive lefty liberal in me is happy they have wealthy countries to tap into. However being a capitalist, it's smart to know information like this to help in negotiations.

Best to you,

Brian

Brian

You are completely way off there, to do a comparison, ask one of your philippino friends the cost of a 300 ml can of Pepsi or Coke and convert it to USD, you will get the actual purchasing power of the currency, if you dont have a friend in that part of the world, even a search in country specific google will give you the cost.

Hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users